How to clean a dishwasher?
The dishwasher you have been using to clean your dirty dishes needs cleaning too! Over time the dishwasher will accumulate grease, food waste, and germs. This food waste and grease will reduce the efficiency of your dishwasher and leave your utensils spotty and dirty. Therefore, it is important to clean your dishwasher thoroughly to keep it odour free, clean, and germ-free.
3 signs your dishwasher needs to be cleaned
- It smells funny - The build-up of food waste and grease in the machine can make it have an unpleasant smell.
- Your dishes have spots or water stains - If the water in your area is considered hard water, it can lead to the build-up of limescale in your dishwasher.
- Your dishes look greasy or dirty despite washing - If you have never cleaned your dishwasher before, you might have an accumulation of food waste and grease in the internal parts of your machine.
How often should you wash your dishwasher?
The drain and filters of your dishwasher should be cleaned at least monthly and a full clean every three months.
How to clean a dishwasher?
It can be cleaned using dishwasher cleaning tablets or vinegar and baking soda. Check your dishwasher manual to see the products recommended by your manufacturer.
- Scrape the food particles from your utensils before loading them in the dishwasher. This would prevent food waste from getting accumulated inside the filter. Also, saves you from too much effort later.
- Once the wash cycle is completed, remove the bottom rack and clean leftover food from the drain.
- Remove the filter (located below the bottom spray arm) and use a plastic brush and wash it with hot water and detergent.
- Clean the door seals with a damp cloth.
- Clean the exterior parts of the appliance thoroughly with an all-purpose cleaner or warm soapy water. Note: Check your manual first before using any cleaning products
- Clean the spray arms and jets with toothpicks or tweezers to remove any waste stuck inside.
- Remove the dish racks and soak them in hot soapy water.
- Place dishwasher cleaning solution in the empty machine and run through a hot cycle as per product instructions.
Cleaning the dishwasher restores the machine as good as new!
What products can be used to clean the dishwasher?
- Vinegar: it is readily available, cheap, and clears up foul smells. However, being acidic can damage the internal parts. Check your manual first before using any product. To clean with vinegar, put 2 cups of vinegar in a bowl. Keep the bowl in the top rack of the empty machine and run the machine in its hottest cycle.
- Baking soda: To get rid of bad odours and stains, throw in a handful of baking soda in the bottom rack and run the machine using its shortest wash cycle.
- Dishwasher cleaning tablets/solution - There are many different products available in the market. Check the manufacturer’s manual for the instructions to clean it using tablets.
Handy tips to maintain your dishwasher
- Scrape the food waste from your utensils before loading them in the dishwasher.
- Use high-quality dishwashing detergents.
- Clean the door seals, filters, and drain regularly.
- Use the dishwasher frequently to prevent the hardening up of food waste and build-up of microbes/insects and bad smells. Most dishwashers are energy and water efficient, saving your time and money.
- Keep the door open to allow air circulation preventing foul smell and moulds when not in use.
- Avoid overcrowding the dishwasher with too many utensils, plates, etc.
If your dishwasher is not working properly Fallon Solutions can help you with dishwasher repair services. Our team of expert technicians can assist with the installation and repair of all popular brands.
Appliance repairs Services
- Appliance Repairs FAQs
- Electrical Appliance Repairs
- Washing Machine Repairs
- Dishwasher Repairs
- Oven Repairs
- Stove Repairs
- Cooktop Repairs
- Appliance Brands
- Service Areas
Fallon Solutions Reviews
367 reviewsView Reviews