When do I need to test my home smoke alarms?
Testing your home smoke alarms provides peace of mind that they will operate effectively in the event of a fire. We recommend homeowners and renters carry out monthly testing and cleaning to ensure the alarm is working. Yearly changing of the battery in 9-volt battery-powered alarms is essential as well.
Smoke alarm testing timeframes for landlords
The Queensland Smoke Alarm legislation provides compulsory testing and cleaning timeframes for landlords and tenants.
- Alarms must be replaced every 10 years with a photoelectric alarm which complies with the Australian Standards 3786-2004. Any alarm which is older than 10 years, as well as any which don’t function when tested, must be replaced. Smoke alarms are fitted with a date of manufacture sticker or stamp
- Smoke alarms must be tested and cleaned (as per manufacturers' instructions) within 30 days before the start of a tenancy agreement. A renewal or extension of an existing tenancy agreement is also deemed to be the start of a new tenancy agreement.
- Flat or almost flat batteries must be replaced within 30 days before the start of a tenancy agreement.
- Tenants are required to test the smoke alarm using the Test button, as well as clean the alarm using a vacuum cleaner or soft brush, at least once every 12 months. QFES recommend monthly cleaning
Please note - 240-volt smoke alarms must be installed and repaired by a licenced electrician.
Any building leased (new or renewed) from 1 Jan 2022 must have a photoelectric interconnected smoke alarm system. Many landlords are currently upgrading their smoke alarm systems in readiness for this legislation deadline.
Beat the rush, if your property is in Brisbane or the Gold Coast book smoke alarm upgrade with our experienced electricians today.
More information on the Queensland Smoke Alarm Legislation here - New QLD Smoke Alarm Legislation
- 8 reasons why you should upgrade your switchboard
- How to maintain your security system
- Signs you need to check your smoke detector
- When should you upgrade your switchboard?
- $99 Switchboard Safety Check
- Emergency Electrician
- Electrical Services
- Electrical Safety
- Electrical Testing Service
- Appliance Installation
- Ceiling Fans
- Lighting Solutions
- Commercial Electrician
- Home Energy Audits
- Electrical Contractors
- Master Electricians
- Electrical FAQs
- Service Areas
Fallon Solutions Reviews
285 reviewsView Reviews