Hot Water Supply & Installation Nuts & Bolts
10 things you need to know when getting a hot water quote
Getting a quote over the phone? Are you being quoted for everything, no surprises? Are you comparing apples with apples?
1. HOT WATER UNIT
- If electric, is the tank type stainless steel or vitreous enamel? Stainless steel hot water tanks require less maintenance, uses less power, and have a longer lifespan.
- Is a tempering valve included to comply with QLD legislation?
- If gas, does it require gas valves and connection?
- Have you considered tankless hot water?
2. COLD WATER EXPANSION & COLD WATER DUO/ISOLATION VALVES
- An expansion valve is required by the manufacturer and is specific to each unit.
- A duo or isolation valve is required to meet QLD legislation.
- Does the overflow terminate into a stormwater drain? This prevents dampness and possible termite infestation.
3. ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING PIPE WORK
- These can be expensive changes if required.
Will piping be insulated to save power and avoid scolding?
4. COUNCIL FORMS
- The plumber must submit required council forms and pay to lodge. Is it included as part of the hot water installation service?
5. REMOVAL & RECYCLING OF OLD UNIT & RUBBISH
- Will removal and recycling of your old unit be included?
- Will your home be left clean and tidy after completion?
6. ELECTRICAL UPGRADE
- Is an electrical upgrade required and will it be assessed and completed by a licensed electrician to meet QLD legislation?
- How energy efficient is the machine? Cheaper units can use more power.
You could save up to $1500 over 10 years
(comparison of electrical units)
7. SAFE TRAY & POLY BASE
Prevents flooding (indoor units).
8. CONCRETE RIPPLE PAD
- Prevents rust and allows for air flow (outdoor units).
9. PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE & MILDRED VALVES
- A pressure limiting valve is required by the manufacturer for warranty validity. It is specific to each unit.
- Mildred valves prevent flooding for indoor units.
10. WARRANTIES & CASH BACK GUARANTEE
- What is the warranty on labour and will they install the unit as soon as possible?
- At Fallon Solutions, we have a limited lifetime labour warranty + manufacturers warranty of up to 10 years.