What is a Tempering Valve?
Hot water is a luxury that can very easily be taken for granted, so when it comes to hot water for your home or business, you want to ensure you have the best and safest system for your circumstances to avoid any unnecessary issues or problems. This may not mean just the system on its own though - this can mean any necessary additions, such as a tempering valve , to ensure the safety of yourself, your family and your friends.
What is a hot water tempering valve?
A tempering valve is one of the best ways to ensure people are not harmed or scalded by hot water when it comes out of a faucet. It works as a mixing tool, as it combines both cold and hot water to correctly produce the required water temperature to be released from a particular outlet.
What is the difference between a tempering valve and a thermostatic mixing valve?
Both thermostatic mixing valves (TMV’s) and tempering valves blend hot and cold water together to create a suitable water temperature, however, there are some important differences, including :
- A plumber must have a TMV licence to install a TMV
- Tempering valves do not respond to temperature changes as quickly as TMV’s, which is why facilities such as schools, nursing homes and hospitals which require a reduced water temperature of 45°C can only have a TMV installed, not a tempering valve
- Tempering valves are cheaper than TMVs but do not last as long
- Generally, plumbers will repair a TMV and not replace it
Are there different kinds of tempering valves?
Yes, there are - the required tempering valve for your hot water system will depend on the type and size of your system. These include :
- Orange Cap Tempering Valve - recommended for heat pump hot water systems and solar hot water systems
- Green Cap Tempering Valve - best for gas hot water systems
- Blue Cap Tempering Valve - recommended for electric water heaters
- Black Cap Tempering Valve - most commonly used for large capacity systems
Your plumber will be able to assist with the type of valve needed, so do not worry if you are unsure.
Do I need a tempering valve on my hot water system?
Yes, you do! In order to ensure the water temperature being produced from your outlets complies with Australia Standards (AS3500), you are required to have a tempering valve installed on any hot water system in Brisbane. The Standards state that, in order to avoid scalding, hot water must be set at a particular safe temperature and includes aspects such as :
- Stored water must be kept at a minimum of 60 degrees Celsius, to avoid the growth of legionella bacteria, but
- Water that comes out of a faucet must not be hotter than 50 degrees Celsius.
Additionally, tempering valves must be installed by a licenced plumber and are required to be installed in the following circumstances (according to the Plumbing Code of Australia):
- The installation of any new hot water system
- When moving a hot water system from one property to another
- For any hot water system replacement that isn’t like for like
- For any hot water system replacement that is like for like
Realistically, this means that all hot water system replacements should be installed with a tempering valve, however, the requirements do not extend to some repairs - it is still highly recommended however that you arrange for the installation of a hot water tempering valve to ensure your safety.
If you have any questions regarding tempering valves, their installation or how Fallon Solutions can help you with the process, give us a call on
1300 762 260
or complete an online
For more information, check out our hot water system page.
- How much does a hot water system cost?
- What are the pros and cons of different hot water systems?
- Which are the best hot water temperature settings?
Hot Water Services
- Hot Water Today
- Hot Water Trade In
- Hot Water Lifetime Warranty
- Hot Water FAQ
- Hot Water Installation
- Hot Water Repairs
- Hot Water Replacement
- Hot Water System Types
- Hot Water System Costs
- Hot Water System Sizes
- Tempering Valves
- Thermostatic Mixing Valves
- Hot Water Systems Brands
- Service Areas
- Hot Water Information
- Hot Water Jobs
Fallon Solutions Reviews
253 reviewsView Reviews