Our Main Service Regions

safe hands
Our Services Handy Hints Reviews About Us Contact Us

What is a Water Efficiency Certificate?

When it comes to getting your home ready to rent out, there are a huge variety of aspects to consider. From rental amounts to property managers to ensuring the property is safe to lease, the list is endless and can seem a little overwhelming at times.

Rental Home

So, to make things a little easier we thought we would take one thing off your list - plumber (otherwise known as Water Compliance Certificates). They are a big thing when it comes to ensuring you can bill out any water used in the rental property to any tenants, so we thought we'd put a bit of information together as to what they are, how they work and who can issue them.

If you have any further questions regarding Water Efficiency Certificates, give Fallon Solutions a call on 1300 762 260 and we can assist.

What is a Water Efficiency Certificate?

A Water Efficiency Certificate is a document that states a particular property is certified as water efficient.

What does a Water Efficiency Certificate cover?

According to the Queensland Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Regulations 2009 , the following key conditions must be met to receive a plumber :

  • The rental property must be individually metered or bulk water be delivered by a vehicle.
  • All of the internal cold water taps in the rental property, except those serving a bath, are to deliver a maximum of 9 litres of water per minute.
  • All shower heads in the rental property are to have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute.
  • All the toilets in the rental property are to be dual flush, with the maximum flush volume of the full flush to be 6.5 litres, and the maximum for the half flush being 3.5 litres. Additionally, they must have a maximum average flush volume of 4 litres (based on the average of 1 full flush and 4 half flushes).
Water Efficiency

Who's responsibility is it to obtain a Water Compliance Certificate QLD?

It is the responisbility of the property owner (Landlord) or a Real Estate Agent to speak to plumber and arrange a Water Efficiency Certificate to be issued.

Who can issue a Water Efficiency Certificate?

Only an appropriately qualified plumber can issue a Water Efficiency Certificate.

Fallon Solutions Plumber

Why should you get a Water Efficiency Certificate?

If you are hoping to rent a property out, in order to on charge all water expenses to a tenant, you must have a Water Compliance Certificate QLD issued. Landlords are able to pass on all water consumption charges, including bulk water delivery, as long as the following requirements are met:

  • The rental property is individually metered.
  • The rental property is certified water efficient by an issued Water Efficiency Certificate.
  • The tenancy agreement states that the tenant must pay the water consumption costs.

How can you ensure your rental property is compliant?

There are a few ways that you can ensure your rental property is water efficiency compliant, including:

  • Upgrading tapware and outlets.
  • Installing flow-restricting aerators.
  • Installing flow restrictor fittings behind the spouts.
  • Installing flow restrictors in taps.

All of the above can generally be completed by your local plumber , so get in contact with them for further information.

Fallon Solutions

Your qualified and professional plumbing experts

If you have any questions regarding Water Efficiency Certificates, or would like to arrange one of our friendly technicians to come out and complete a Water Efficiency Certificate for your rental property, give Fallon Solutions a call on 1300 762 260 or Book Online today. We have considerable experience


Residential Tenancies Authority (Water Charging): https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Rent-and-other-bills/Water-charging

Residential Tenancies Authority (Water Charging Fact Sheet): https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Forms-and-publications/Fact-sheets/General-tenancy-fact-sheets/Water-charging-fact-sheet

Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Regulations 2009: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/pdf/inforce/2009-07-01/sl-2009-0074


browse by a specific service

Book a Tradie

Mention WEB40 when you make your booking and we'll take $40 off your next job.

Book NOW

Fallon Solutions Reviews

  • Plumber The gap


    Just had Josh B around to clear a very root-blocked drain and was very happy with the way it went. Everything well explained, done in a reasonable ...

  • Plumber, Electrician, Hot Water Thornlands

    Debra henry

    Fallon Solutions really have it covered. From the staff at the end of the phone to the tradespeople who attend the premises they are all polite, h...

  • Electrician, Electrical Safety, Safety Switch, LED lighting Clayfield


    The electrician who attended did an excellent job. He found many issues that he was able to attend to promptly. I feel that my property is safe aga...

  • Electrician 4217

    M ray

    David and Michelle were great.

  • Electrician, Smoke Alarms Coorparoo

    Cathy ferguson

    Wanted to say thank you to Cam Sullivan for the great service.

Word Of Mouth Awards
Product Review Electrician Award Product Review Plumber Award Product Review Electrician Award Product Review Plumber Award

Handy Hints Videos

Some of our videos showing you handy hints to save you money around your home.

Fallon Cares - Queensland Koala Society
How to pick the right type of LED downlights
How a solar hot water timer can save you money
Is your TV antenna causing TV reception issues?
What are solar batteries good for?
How does a solar inverter work?
Insinkerator: Insink Garbage Disposal
Carpentry services that are commonly needed when moving into a new house
The simple access control solution for your home
The benefits of a mesh WiFi system
See All Videos

Our Qualifications

Customer Rating