Plumbers - frequently asked questions
Common questions about Plumbers!
Are instant boiling water systems safe?
Instant boiling water systems deliver boiling water from a tap installed over your sink. These systems make waiting for the kettle to boil a thing of the past. All systems will have a safety locking mechanism, either a safety lock button or the need to use two adult fingers to operate the system.
For more information about instant boiling water systems .
Do I need backflow testing?
Backflow testing is required most commercial properties, for example:
- Motels and unit complexes
- Vehicle-repair workshops
- Caravan parks
- Medical and dental surgeries
- Car and plant-washing facilities
- Dry-cleaners and laundries
- Hospitals and funeral parlours
- Club houses for sports
- Day care centres and kindergartens
- Pest control and water-carrying vehicles
- Botanic gardens
How do I adjust the temperature of the hot water coming from the tap?
Emergency rooms across Australia are treating burns caused by hot water taps on a daily basis, usually in children. It is essential to have your hot water set at a safe level for all members of your family.
Your hot water system may have an external dial to set the temperature or it may be under the outer cover which will be an easy adjustment. The recommended temperature is 50 degrees Celsius. Some models display the temperature, however others just have a dial with no numbers leaving you to either guess or use you home thermometer to work it out . In some cases the best action is to install a tempering valve to ensure the hot and cold water is mixing correctly to deliver the desired water temperature.
Which ever method you need to use, enlisting the help of a licensed plumber will ensure it is done correctly.
For more information on tempering valves .
How does a continuous hot water system work?
Continuous hot water systems heat the water as it is needed by passing cold water through a heat exchanger device, igniting a gas burner or switching on an electric element heating the water. Continuous hot water systems are very economical.
For more information on continuous hot water
How does the plumber know what is blocking the drain?
Our plumber will use various tools to analyse the issue, including CCTV cameras, water jetters and plumbing drain rods.
What are some of the advantages to installing a gas hot water system?
- Gas hot water systems are environmentally friendly. Natural gas burns much less CO2 to heat the water than electricity. Electric systems can burn as much CO2 as an average sized car.
- Gas burns very hot and very little heat is wasted making the system very energy efficient
- Running costs are less for gas systems than for electric.
- Gas systems heat the water up fast. No more waiting around for the water to heat to finish the showers in the evening.
For more information on gas hot water systems.
What are the advantages of getting natural gas connection for my home?
The advantages of natural gas are many.
- Natural gas is the cleanest burning fuel in existence today
- Gas is much cheaper than electricity
- You never have to worry about running out of gas for the BBQ or hot water system
- Indoor and outdoor heaters can be run off the natural gas mains
What are the advantages of installing a water tank?
Some advantages of water tank are:
- They can save you money on water bills
- You may be entitled to a government rebate
- They are environmentally responsible
- Your garden will always be the greenest in the street even during water restrictions
- They will reduce your pool costs
What are the benefits of connecting the electric hot water system to off-peak tariff?
Electricity is up to 60% cheaper on off-peak tariff. You will also be reducing the demand on the electricity system by running your water heater during off-peak times.
For more information on electric hot water systems .
What are the benefits of installing a solar hot water system?
- Reduce the amount of electricity you need to heat water
- Reduce your energy bills - the sun is free!
- Reduce green house gas emissions generated by heating water
- Roof mounted panels are aesthetically pleasing. No large tanks taking up space in your yard.
- You may be eligible for a Solar Hot Water Rebate
What do I do if I have a plumbing emergency after hours?
Fallon Services has an emergency plumber on call 24 hours a day. Just call our 24 hour hotline 1300 054 488.
What do I need to consider when installing a hot water system?
Some factors to consider when deciding on a hot water system are:
- Running costs
- Electric, Gas or Solar
- Initial cost
- Energy efficiency
- Where the system is to be installed
Where does the water from the sink and shower go?
The water from your sink or shower goes into the sewage system along with the waste from your toilet. It is then filtered and treated for pollution.