How often should you organise an air conditioning service?
When it comes to the Queensland climate, we are lucky enough to have some pretty spectacular weather for a lot of the year. In saying that, the summer
can get a little warm at times and you may need some extra help to be nice and comfortably cool. The frustrating situation can arise however when your
air con just isn’t performing like it should when you need it the most, which could potentially be avoided by regular
air conditioning servicing
and maintenance. But, what does ‘regular maintenance’ actually mean?
What is included in an air con service?
To ensure your air conditioner is running at peak performance whenever you need it, a service should include the following (but isn’t limited too):
- Clean or replace the filters
- Clean the evaporator coil and condenser coil
- Ensure the coil fins are in the right place and, if not, use a ‘fin comb’ or similar tool to comb the fins back into place
- Clean out the drain channels if needed
- Check the pressure levels
- If the unit is a window air conditioner, the seal between the window and the system will need to be checked to ensure no moisture has damaged it
- Check all components, including the motor and blower
- Check the accuracy of the thermostat
Your air conditioning does not require a full clean every time - it can range from a minor service to full cleaning depending on the circumstances.
Should you get your air conditioner regularly serviced?
In short, yes. The regular servicing and maintenance of your air con can mean avoiding a lot of short term and long term problems. Fallon Solutions recommend having all home air conditioning units serviced at least annually, to ensure everything is working like it should.
In saying this, the usage of your unit may suggest a more regular maintenance plan is more appropriate, especially if your air conditioner is on for a majority of the summer months. If this is the case, having your system checked both before and after summer is advised to ensure optimal performance - if you have an air con, you want to make sure you get the best out of it!
Why should you get your air conditioner serviced?
So, you’re being told you should service your air conditioner. But why? There are heaps of beneficial reasons as to why you should have your unit serviced, including:
- Keeps your air con working perfectly whenever you need it
- Improves efficiency of your unit
- Ensures little issues don’t become big ones due to inattention
- Lowers long term costs, as you find out sooner rather than later if your system needs repairing or replacing (instead of using an inefficient system for a long time!)
- Also lowers your energy costs, as your system will consistently run more efficiently
- Can extend the life of your air con, as it remains in good condition all year round
- With regular maintenance and servicing comes better air quality, as less dirt and unwanted particles are getting stuck in your unit are being released into the air
- The risk of mould growing in your air con is higher in the warmer months, so regular maintenance decreases the likelihood of mould growth
What about retail shop leases?
When it comes to retail shop leases and air conditioning maintenance and servicing, a lot of leases will specify what the requirements are and who is responsible for the ongoing maintenance of any unit or system in the premises. If your lease is under the Retail Shop Leases Act 1994 (Qld), the Landlord is responsible for maintenance of all air conditioning but may pass this cost on to the tenant as an outgoing as part of the rental payments.
If however the air con or some of its parts need replacing, known as ‘capital expenses’, it is a Landlords responsibility to pay for these costs and a tenant is not financially liable if they are have ensured regular maintenance is conducted.
Should I just buy a new air conditioner?
Depending on the age of your unit and your usage, installing a new, energy efficient system may actually be cheaper in the long term than continuing to maintain, service and repair an inefficient air conditioner. It is recommended that you speak to a qualified professional to discuss the best options specific to you.
If you have any questions regarding air con servicing, our services or how we can help ensure your air conditioning keeps you the right temperature all year round, give us a call on 1300 762 260 or Book Online today.
- Air conditioning vs evaporative cooling - the pros and cons
- Benefits of Air Purifiers
- Ducted vs split system air conditioning
- Heating using reverse cycle air conditioning vs gas heater
- How does ducted air conditioning work?
- How to read the new aircon energy label
Air conditioning Services
- Air Conditioning FAQ
- Air Conditioner Installation
- Air Conditioning Repairs
- Air Conditioner Servicing
- Air Conditioner Brands
- Single Split System
- Multi Head Split System
- Ducted System
- Reverse Cycle Air
- Air Conditioner Manuals
- Look for the Tick
- Commercial Air Conditioning
- Service Areas
Fallon Solutions Reviews
285 reviewsView Reviews