Natural gas vs LPG
The differences between natural gas & LPG
Natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG) are both popular in many homes for their low environmental impact and cost-effectiveness, however, choosing between the two can be quite difficult without understanding their main differences. This article will help you understand all that you need to know about natural and LPG gas.
What is natural gas and LPG?
Natural gas is methane gas, which is created when decomposed organic matter is exposed to increasing heat and pressure in an oxygenless environment. Deposits of natural gas are found underground where organic matter has been buried over time.
Liquid petroleum gas is composed of propane and butane, which is not completely natural but is obtained from natural gas processes.
Benefits of natural gas
- Supplied through connection pipes - no need to change over gas bottles.
- Less dense than air - dissipates faster than LPG which is beneficial during a gas leak.
- More environmentally friendly - produces less CO2 when burned.
- Suited to large households for heating and electricity.
Benefits of LPG
- Higher energy content - requires less gas to produce the same amount of heat as natural gas.
- Cost-effective - lower cost if less gas is required than natural gas.
- Portable - supplied through gas bottles which are easy to change.
- Beneficial to areas with no natural gas supply.
- Used for smaller homes due to the limit of the gas tank.
- Great for cooking appliances and stand-alone barbeques.
Natural gas compared to LPG
For use in homes, the main difference between natural gas and LPG is that natural gas is supplied through mains gas pipes which connect homes to the mains supply. Liquid petroleum gas is distributed in portable gas bottles, which require changing when they run out.
This makes LPG is more suited to smaller homes or apartments with lower gas usage due to the limits on gas storage.
It is important to know whether your appliances are manufactured to use natural gas or LPG before having them or your gas system installed. This is because every gas appliance is designed specifically to use one type of gas, not both. Connecting your home to natural gas or having an LPG system installed will require the services of a professional gas fitter .
Professional gas fitter services
If you are looking for a professional natural or LPG system fitter service? Get in touch with Fallon Solutions today for a wide range of specialist gas fitter services. We can ensure that your family will be provided with a gas supply that you can rely on to meet all of your living needs. Talk to our team today by calling 1300 762 260 or complete our booking request today.
Gas Fitting Services
- Gas Compliance Certificate
- Gas Installations
- Gas Repairs & Replacement
- Gas Hot Water System Repairs
- Service Areas
Fallon Solutions Reviews
285 reviewsView Reviews